Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 0 comments

LOL


LOL

Today the slang phrase/term “LOL” stands for laugh out loud. Almost everyone knows what this means, despite their age. This term is often used in text messaging as a substitute for “ha ha” or “very funny.” But lately I have noticed a change in the use of the term. I’ve noticed that this phrase has being used after almost after every sentence; even when the sentence has no comical value what so ever. I have noticed God being used after a lot of sentences as well… 

In Exodus 20:7, it plainly states "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." I will go ahead and tell you, as I have many times before; I am defiantly guilty of this. I can make excuses and say “oh it slipped!” Or “I was just so angry at so and so!” But I want to own up to it because one day we will be judged by The Creator (you’re going to have to one way or another). In our daily lives we are surrounded by a very different group of people. Not everyone you are around is going to be a Christian; God NEVER promised us that our walk with Christ would be an easy one. 

When we are around non-believers we are sometimes influenced by them. Whether we want to admit it or not this does happen. I have done things that my friends have just like you. We are all the same. We are all human. It is a matter of self-control (which I still struggle with). As I said earlier, God’s name is being used as an average, everyday, phrased used when we are mad or excited (both are still just as wrong as the other). I have tried to use replacement words like gosh and goodness but they aren’t good enough. Our society has made us feel like saying His name is fine. They may think this is okay to do because they may have felt abandoned at one time and cursed him and abused His Holy Name. They think this is okay so in turn (if they have some influence over us) we think the same.

Say one of our friends say His Name and we “LOL” about it. Exodus 20:7 says, “… the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.” There is a serious punishment for what we consider clowning around. We don’t take this seriously because the people around us have dethroned God in their lives and we conform to whatever they do. Where will they be on you judgment day? Will they be there to back you up like they do now? Could they, in any way, get you out of your judgment?
We place all of our faith in the things of the world (friends, laptops, gaming systems, etc.). But when we are judged by the One true Judge we are empty-handed. Things of this world wither. However the treasures of Heaven are here forever.

Mathew 6:20 states, “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”

It’s easy to go along and just say it a few times. I dare you to believe that you can overcome this pressure. I dare you to believe…

0 comments:

Post a Comment