Monday, April 16, 2012 - 0 comments

Maturity


Maturity

“Maturity is the capacity to endure uncertainty.”                        – John Finely

I feel that in some aspects of my life I am mature. I can drive a car and be trusted, even stay at home while my parents are away. However, in other aspects my maturity switch is stuck in the middle. It is similar to a flickering light bulb, it’s either going to turn off or on but you never know which. This part, my dysfunctional switch, is located on my relationship with my siblings.

I would like for people to think of me as an outstanding big brother who always provides and makes my brother and sister happy. Sadly, this is not always the case. And yes, I am ashamed of that. Say the kids are being too rowdy and I get on to them for this. This is not my place and I constantly think otherwise. I am also constantly punished. I think I am the adult and well I’m not.

I actually feel more obligated as a Christian as well as a person because I write this blog. If I slip up or contradict myself my mom will point it out; which is amazing to have your mom as an accountability partner. I was fighting with the kids the other day and she posed a question, why don’t you post about fighting with the kids on the blog? That got me thinking, I have been contradicting myself and I didn’t truly realize it. How could I post about all this and go do the total opposite? I am blessed to have her to point out things like that.

“When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.” -1 Corinthians 13:11

Wikipedia defines maturity as, “a psychological term used to indicate how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age.” This hits home for me. It is not determined by one’s age, which means I don’t have to be a man to be mature, I can be mature now. It will be a hard road though. If you truly want something, you have to work for it (seems like I have learned that the hard way, huh?)

In any family, there will always be conflict. But we can work together to resolve it. That’s why they call it family! Families are meant to love one another as well as guide one another on the right path. As a family, you should always provide for one another. If Gray had an anger issue we would guide him through or if mom was stressed we would try to calm down and give her peace. I’m sure if I were to ask to be held accountable, they certainly would. I think I just might do that…

“But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” -1 Timothy 3:4

I challenge any member of a family who reads this to hold your family members accountable. But also be held accountable yourself. 

I dare you to love, I dare you to believe…


0 comments:

Post a Comment